Castello Aragonese

http://dati.beniculturali.it/mibact/luoghi/resource/CulturalInstituteOrSite/108160 entità di tipo: CulturalInstituteOrSite


The imposing castle, situated on a high promontory overlooking the sea, towers the coast of Ortona. Though the presence of a fortress is documented as from the Angevin age, the building of the present structure started only when the dynasty of Aragon ascended the power, that is in the mid fifteenth century or a short time later. As a consequence of the landing of Venetian plunderers and the subsequent sack in 1447, it was decided to build a new fortress. The castle had functioned for the entire sixteenth century when the port was move to south; therefore it gradually lost its pivotal role and was completely abandoned in the eighteenth century, so it did not have any part in driving back the French assault at the end of the century.
 In the thirties of the fifteenth century, the new feudal overlord Giacomo Caldora ordered the building of further walls, which enclosed the castle and connected it to the town. Nevertheless the fortress has kept up until now the structure which the lords of Aragon had chosen for it. As shown in the so called "Augustinian" map dated 1583, the main feature of the edifice is its pentagonal plan, which makes of it a massive block interrupted by circular fortified towers on high scarp. The structure of the castle belongs therefore to the military typology of the second half of the XV century, intended to resist to firearms.
Partially damaged by a landslide in 1946, it has recently been restored and reinforced.
Il poderoso castello domina la costa ortonese dall’alto del promontorio a precipizio sul mare. Sebbene la presenza di una fortificazione sia testimoniata già in epoca angioina, è all’ascesa dei sovrani aragonesi e dunque dalla metà del Quattrocento o poco oltre, che prende avvio la costruzione dell’attuale struttura. Probabilmente alla decisione di intervenire con la costruzione di un nuovo forte, contribuì lo sbarco e il conseguente saccheggio ad opera dei veneziani avvenuto nel 1447. In uso per tutto il XVI secolo, con lo spostamento del porto verso meridione, il castello perderà il suo ruolo baricentrico fino a giungere al completo abbandono nel corso del Settecento, tanto da non avere alcuna parte nel respingimento dei francesi sul finire del secolo.
 Legato con una nuova cinta muraria all’impianto urbanistico della città antica, per volere di Giacomo Caldora, divenuto feudatario, negli anni Trenta del Quattrocento, il fortilizio si presenta ancora nell’impianto che vollero gli aragonesi. Come anche riscontrabile dalla carta “agostiniana” del 1583, la caratteristica principale della struttura è la pianta pentagonale, compatta, dotata di torrioni circolari con alta scarpa. L’impianto dunque, rientra tra le nuove tipologie militari della seconda metà del XV secolo, in grado di rispondere alle nuove armi da fuoco.
 In parte danneggiato da una frana nel 1946, è stato da poco oggetto di un complessivo intervento di restauro e consolidamento.
Castello Aragonese 

The imposing castle, situated on a high promontory overlooking the sea, towers the coast of Ortona. Though the presence of a fortress is documented as from the Angevin age, the building of the present structure started only when the dynasty of Aragon ascended the power, that is in the mid fifteenth century or a short time later. As a consequence of the landing of Venetian plunderers and the subsequent sack in 1447, it was decided to build a new fortress. The castle had functioned for the entire sixteenth century when the port was move to south; therefore it gradually lost its pivotal role and was completely abandoned in the eighteenth century, so it did not have any part in driving back the French assault at the end of the century.
 In the thirties of the fifteenth century, the new feudal overlord Giacomo Caldora ordered the building of further walls, which enclosed the castle and connected it to the town. Nevertheless the fortress has kept up until now the structure which the lords of Aragon had chosen for it. As shown in the so called "Augustinian" map dated 1583, the main feature of the edifice is its pentagonal plan, which makes of it a massive block interrupted by circular fortified towers on high scarp. The structure of the castle belongs therefore to the military typology of the second half of the XV century, intended to resist to firearms.
Partially damaged by a landslide in 1946, it has recently been restored and reinforced.
 
Il poderoso castello domina la costa ortonese dall’alto del promontorio a precipizio sul mare. Sebbene la presenza di una fortificazione sia testimoniata già in epoca angioina, è all’ascesa dei sovrani aragonesi e dunque dalla metà del Quattrocento o poco oltre, che prende avvio la costruzione dell’attuale struttura. Probabilmente alla decisione di intervenire con la costruzione di un nuovo forte, contribuì lo sbarco e il conseguente saccheggio ad opera dei veneziani avvenuto nel 1447. In uso per tutto il XVI secolo, con lo spostamento del porto verso meridione, il castello perderà il suo ruolo baricentrico fino a giungere al completo abbandono nel corso del Settecento, tanto da non avere alcuna parte nel respingimento dei francesi sul finire del secolo.
 Legato con una nuova cinta muraria all’impianto urbanistico della città antica, per volere di Giacomo Caldora, divenuto feudatario, negli anni Trenta del Quattrocento, il fortilizio si presenta ancora nell’impianto che vollero gli aragonesi. Come anche riscontrabile dalla carta “agostiniana” del 1583, la caratteristica principale della struttura è la pianta pentagonale, compatta, dotata di torrioni circolari con alta scarpa. L’impianto dunque, rientra tra le nuove tipologie militari della seconda metà del XV secolo, in grado di rispondere alle nuove armi da fuoco.
 In parte danneggiato da una frana nel 1946, è stato da poco oggetto di un complessivo intervento di restauro e consolidamento. 
DBUnico.108160 
Castello Aragonese 
42.35851 
14.405824 
Architettura fortificata 

risorse dalla linked data cloud

Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 International (CC BY 3.0). For exceptions see here